Friday, February 24, 2012

March is Reading Month Locker Project: A Love Letter to Your Favorite Book

For March is Reading Month we are going to be doing lots of fun bookish projects, the first of which is a love letter to your favorite book. This could be a book that has recently become close to your heart (like mine) or a book that holds fond memories for you from your childhood. The important thing is that you express your love and devotion for that book in only one page so that  it will fit on your locker.

Also necessary to include in your letter is a picture of the book cover. Here is the example that I wrote:


A love letter to my favorite book

Dearest Fault in Our Stars,
In my entire time residing on this planet, I have never declared one favorite book. When people ask what my favorite book is, I always tell them, "I have lots of favorites. I can't choose just one." Today, however, I am here to proclaim my love for my all-time favorite book as you dear Fault in Our Stars.
Back in January, I began to read you and ended up wiling away an entire day. I never do that. I don't have time anymore. But when I started to read the first pages of your heartbreaking story, I did not move from my chair until I finished.
I don't even know how to express my feelings for you in words dear Fault in Our Stars. Hazel and Augustus were real people to me. They were two of the most wonderful teenagers ever to have graced this planet, even if only in the pages of your brilliant book. So as their tragic story unfolded, I grieved for them. As I sat there reading, a pile of sodden tissues in my lap, my thoughts ping-ponged between sadness and joy. Conversations that were supposed to be tragic ended up making me laugh out loud at their light-heartedness and humor. Scenes that would have been cliché and caused me to roll my eyes in any other book made me weep at their tenderness and romanticism.
So thank you dear Fault in Our Stars. Thank you for Hazel and Augustus and Isaac and for all of the other amazing characters to grace your brilliant story. When I turned your final page, I grieved. Not just for the characters and for the end of you, but also for the fact that I don't know if any book I read from here on out will ever live up to you. You have made my reading life from this day forward a much more challenging endeavor and for that I am ever grateful.

My undying and everlasting love,

Beth Shaum

No comments:

Post a Comment