1. Read one of the 2013 Newbery honor books and write a review of it in your literature journal, explaining why you think it is worthy of a Newbery honor.
The 2013 Newbery honors are:
- Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz
- Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage
- Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World’s Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin
2. Read the 2012 Newbery winner, Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos and then write a review of it in your literature journal, explaining why you think it is worthy of a Newbery award.
3. Read ALL of the 2013 Caldecott honor books and write a review of them in your literature journal, explaining why you think they are worthy of a Caldecott honor.
The 2013 Caldecott honors are:
- Creepy Carrots! illustrated by Peter Brown, written by Aaron Reynolds
- Extra Yarn, illustrated by Jon Klassen, written by Mac Barnett
- Green, illustrated and written by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
- One Cool Friend, illustrated by David Small, written by Toni Buzzeo
- Sleep Like a Tiger, illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski, written by Mary Logue
The responsibility falls on you to get a hold of these books if my library or the school library does not have some of them.
To help you with this assignment, here are the criteria for selecting a Newbery and Caldecott award: