Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Congratulations Katherine Applegate, winner of the 2013 Newbery Award for The One and Only Ivan!

Photo courtesy of Mr. Schu. I like how the Ivan on the book cover seems to be admiring his new sticker. :)
Dear 6th graders, as much as I am relieved and happy that we had a snow day yesterday, a part of me wishes we could have been together when Ivan was announced as the 2013 Newbery Award winner. Many shrieks and screams and tears poured forth from the people in that room in Seattle where the awards ceremony was held, along with the people watching at home or at school. It tugged at my heart just a little that I wasn't in a room full of joyous 6th graders when the award was announced.

What a wonderful tribute to Ivan for his book to win the Newbery Award only a few months after he died. Too bad he couldn't have been alive to see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment