Tuesday, September 9, 2014

This I Believe essay resources and requirements

We started by exploring two different poems about  belief  "What I Believe" by Jacqueline Woodson. This poem was a listing of all the things the author believes. Now it's time to narrow it down. 

Your first formal writing assignment for the 2014-2015 school year will be to write a "This I Believe" essay. Writing this essay will allow you to go beyond a personal narrative and shape your story into a personal belief or credo.

Requirements (taken from the "This I Believe" essay collection book and the website):
  • Name your belief (focus on ONE belief, not many)
  • Be positive - be FOR something, not against it
  • Focus on the "I" in the title rather than sermonizing to a "we."
  • Tell a story about you and be personal

Avoid (also taken from the "This I Believe" essay collection book):
  • self-righteousness
  • prescribing for others (telling people how THEY should live)
  • cliches and restatement of someone else's or group's beliefs
  • disguised attack

For those who feel especially inspired, it is possible to submit your essays to the "This I Believe" website for the possibility of being published.


"To make such an earnest, exposed statement is itself an act of bravery." - Jay Allison


Explore the "This I Believe" website
Writing Guidelines
This I Believe podcasts and texts of essays



Read and grade Mrs. Shaum's "This I Believe" essay:
Happiness is a Grand Piano

No comments:

Post a Comment