Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Research/Passion Project Introduction

This year you will have the opportunity to do a research project on something you really care about. I don't just want you to do research, however. The end goal is that when this project is over you will have done something you are passionate about.

My friend Cheryl Mizerny introduced passion projects in her middle school classroom and to get them started, she asked her students 3 questions:

1) What do you want to learn how to do? 2) What would you like to create? or 3) Who would you like to help?

You will chose not just a topic to research for this project, but something that involves an action to take or a new skill to learn.

For example, I have decided that I would like my passion project for 2015 to be to learn how to become a Google Certified Teacher. So, as a result of my research, the goal is to DO SOMETHING at the end of the process.

I would like to remember, however, that in the end, this is also a research project in which you will have to consult multiple sources. If your passion doesn't involve extensive research, then you will have to reserve it for another time and opportunity.

For example, now that I have my new piano, one of my goals since I was ten-years-old was to learn how to play Frederic Chopin's "Fantasie Impromptu." It is a piece that has always eluded me and I would love to attempt to learn how to play it.

However, that would not be a good choice for my passion project because a) I can't practice in class b) It doesn't involve any research, only practice. Learning "Fantasie Impromptu" is more of a goal than a project.

So today in class I'm going to give you some time to write, discuss, and explore possible ideas for your passion project. Return to the three questions above and ask yourself what you would like to have accomplished when all is said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment