Monday, January 16, 2012

Writing Assignment: Social Studies Essay

Your 5-paragraph essay will involve choosing a famous person from Latin America and explaining why they are important to study in history class. Remember that you are not just reporting your research. You need to take what you learned about your person from your research and form a well-thought out argument for why this person should be studied.  You also need to remember to cite your sources within your paper and write a works cited at the end.

Here is a list of people to choose from, but you are not limited to these people if you can think of someone else you'd rather write about. You must, however, confirm that person with me.

Due date: ??? TBA
  • Simon Bolivar
  • Cesar Chavez
  • Bartolome de las Casas
  • Pancho Villa
  • Diego Rivera
  • Fidel Castro
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Pablo Escobar
  • Rigoberta Menchu
  • Che Guevara
  • Eva Peron
  • Miguel Hidalgo
  • Jose Marti
  • Julia Alvarez
  • Selena
  • Juanes
  • Frida Kahlo
  • Oscar de la Hoya
  • Gloria Estefan
  • Carlos Santana
  • Eugenio Maria de Hostos
  • Desi Arnaz
  • Celia Cruz
  • Antonio Novello
  • Roberto Clemente
  • Atahuallpa
  • Quetzalcoatl
  • Sammy Sosa 
Remember: it is OK to use Wikipedia as long as you corroborate the information by confirming it with other reliable sources. Think of Wikipedia as your jumping off point for research, not your be-all, end-all.

24 comments:

  1. Annabel R.
    For the essay I am doing Atahualpa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spencer M.

    I'm doing my essay on Roberto Clemente.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evan T.

    On my report I am studying Fidel Castro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick S.

    I am doing my essay on Fidel Castro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mitchell P.

    On my essay I am doing Fidel Castro because I know a little about Fidel Castro and I want to learn more about him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel M
    I am doing my essay on Gloria Estefan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jenifer lopez Matt M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary F.

    I am doing Selena Quintanilla-PĂ©rez.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am doing Fidel Castro
    John M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dennis B.
    I am doing Sammy Sosa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Matt M.


    oscar la hoyaa

    ReplyDelete
  12. MAX R.

    Che Guevara

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lanie C.

    i am doing my report on Selena

    ReplyDelete
  14. Madison G.

    Jose Marti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bridgett b

    Im doing Gloria Estefan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gabby B
    I'm doing Eva Peron.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eric.S

    I am doing Frida Kahlo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Annie M
    I am doing Cesar Chavez, Diego Rivera, or Miguel Hidalgo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. mason c.

    I will be studying che guevara in my essay

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hazel
    i am doing "Simon Bolivar"

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kevin K.

    I am writing my essay on Oscar De la Hoya

    ReplyDelete
  22. Olivia K.
    I am doing mine on Fidel Castro.

    ReplyDelete
  23. LUCY V.
    I am doing St. Juan Diego. He was born in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ~Caroline Breen

    I am doing Gloria Estefan for my five paragraph social studies essay. I am so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete